Sunday, September 30, 2007

How to Knit a Circle

I've been searching the net for awhile now to find how one can knit a flat circle. There's endless instructions for crochet and nothing for knitting pretty much, unless it's a fancy doily or something that would have to be adapted somehow. So I got to thinking about some flowers I'd made for my daughter's mittens and how the petals were rounded on the end and I fiddled a bit. I got a small circle (about 1 3/4" or approx. 5cm in diameter), and will continue to experiment to see if I can get it bigger. I used a crafting cotton, but I would recommend something not as stiff because it needs to be flexible so you can tweak it a little by stretching it. Also, I would definitely recommend blocking. Sadly I can't post a photo because my camera is broken, but here's what I did.

I used size 4mm needles (6US)

CO 4 stitches
Row 1: KF&B of first stitch, knit to end
Row 2: KF&B first stitch, purl to end
Repeat these two rows until you have 9 stitches on your needle, ending with a knit row.
Next row: P across all stitches
Next row: K2tog, K to end
Next row: P2tog, P to end
Repeat these two rows until you have 4 stitches on your needle, ending with a knit row.
Bind off purlways.

Definitions:
K - knit
P - purl
K2tog - knit two together
P2tog - purl two together
KF&B - knit front and back of same stitch

I suppose you could always knit several rows and then reduce until you had a few stitches to draw up together, but you would always have that little hole in the middle or it would be messy looking. This looks like a relatively tidy stocking stitch circle. It's not perfect, but it is definitely round! Good luck!

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you have a knitting blog! I've been knitting, too, and am on ravelry. Have you signed up for ravelry.com? I'm chasmyn there, too, if you have. If not, sign up! It's knitter's crack. And it is AWESOME.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Desiree said...

I was looking at how to knit a circle, and your blog came up. If you like crafting with paper, look at my blog, look at the 'wedding cake' made out of paper boxes. I am on box three...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home